UWC Robert Bosch College is located in the east of Freiburg, in the district Oberau-Waldsee on the grounds of a former Carthusian monastery. The cultural monument is an outstandingly relevant historical site. Besides the main building, a former prior residence of the Carthusian order, the areal includes the charterhouse, all the surrounding open areas, the historical garden on the south-side of the main building, as well as the historical hydro-engineering site on the hillside-toe, all of which are of high value for built heritage conservation.
From 2012 to 2014, the charterhouse was renovated, reconstructed and expanded. The two awardees chosen from the expert review process were commissioned to further develop the building project. In essence, this included the construction of staff and student housing, renovation and reconstruction of the charterhouse, and the building of the auditorium, kitchen and canteen inside.
Construction period & schedule
The construction period was initiated in summer 2012 with the preparing measures and was completed in August 2014, when the students moved in.
For the realization of the project, the Robert Bosch Stiftung and Robert Bosch GmbH invested a total sum of around 40 Mio. Euro.
The Robert Bosch Stiftung GmbH, Stuttgart, carries the awarding authority.
Occupant is the Robert Bosch College UWC GmbH, that is closely involved in the conceptual design of the building.
The Robert Bosch Stiftung acquired the building lease for the grounds of the charterhouse from the Heiliggeistspitalstiftung Freiburg. The ownership of the buildings on the gounds was passed on to the Robert Bosch Stiftung.
The Propery Owner Robert Bosch Stiftung GmbH, comissioned the building department of the Robert Bosch GmbH with the planing and execution of the school. Next to the three most important planning teams, Peter Kulka Architektur Köln, hotz + architekten Freiburg, as well as Becker+ haindl Stuttgart, many more architects and designers are involved, and worked hand in hand to create a coherent overall plan.
- Robert Bosch GmbH, Stuttgart, building department
- hotz + architekten, Freiburg (Renovation charterhouse, renovation further buildings, construction of auditorium, kitchen & canteen)
- Peter Kulka Architektur Köln GmbH (construction staff- & student housing)
- Becker+haindl, Stuttgart (landscape architecture)
- Stahl + Weiss, Freiburg (building physics & energy strategy)
- Krebs Ingenieurbüro, Ditzingen (mechanical planning HLS of the building)
- Planungsbüro für Elektrotechnik Rieker GmbH Schwaikheim (Electricity plans buildings)
- Unger Ingenieure, Freiburg (Infrastructure planning)
- Brandschutzconsult, Ettenheim (Fire safety concept)
- Drescher & Partner, Herbolzheim (Fire safety concept)
- Ingenieurgruppe Geotechnik GbR, Kirchzarten (Ground reconaissance, geotechnical analysis)
- AHW Ingenieure, Münster (Planning of structural framework for new aparments)
- Mohnke & Höss, Freiburg (Planning of structural framework for charterhouse)